Question:
President george.w. bush is listed as our 42nd president, but only 41 men have held the office. Why?
Tiznow
2006-03-07 13:50:54 UTC
President george.w. bush is listed as our 42nd president, but only 41 men have held the office. Why?
Seven answers:
SIMPLEMAN
2006-03-07 14:56:25 UTC
there is actually two answers to this: one is the fact Grover cleveland held the pos. two diff times, and the other is the fact that both President Bush and Jimmy carter are considered "Half" presidents.
That One Chick
2006-03-07 22:51:34 UTC
One president, Grover Cleveland, was elected to office two nonconsecutive times. So he was counted as president twice, but when a president holds office for 2 or more consecutive terms, he's only counted once. George W. Bush is an example of that.
livinghaunted
2006-03-07 22:09:26 UTC
each prez has a 4 year term in office and they are allowed two terms, so therefore that is the reason why there have only been 42 presidents and president Bush is still our current prez. so only 41 men have held the office without counting our current prez. *make sense?*
2006-03-07 21:58:45 UTC
Because Grover Cleveland served 2 different terms. Once from 1885-1889 then from 1893-1897
2006-03-07 22:02:00 UTC
Grover Cleveland was elected as the 22nd & 24th president
2006-03-07 21:52:25 UTC
one man was the president twice
student_of_life
2006-03-07 22:25:36 UTC
yeah, there was one president who was president twice.